Thursday, March 7, 2013

From the Hospital Hideaway Couch

By Chad Morris

Maddie is sleeping so I thought it might be good to pound out a few of the many thoughts I’ve had over the last few weeks. Here are a few lessons I’ve learned:

Learning that your nine-year-old daughter has a brain tumor is a nightmare, a sucker punch to the heart. It makes you really think about what you believe. It’s like an army laying siege to your mind, no thought comes in or goes out without having to pass through it. It steals sleep and fills your night with prayers.

Nothing is more important than people. Love people.  

Going through something horrible shows something deep about us. None of us are perfect under pressure, but in many many ways, I look up to a nine-year-old girl.

Science and medicine are absolutely remarkable.

When she’s on medication, my daughter talks in her sleep. She just mumbled about sodium levels. That’s much more scientific than a few nights ago when she was floating.

Hospital food is not that bad.

Prayers make a difference, a big difference.

Good hearts. There are so many people with good hearts. There is a list on this one.

My wife. With our minds still heavy with all the neurosurgeons told us, she paid for lunch for the other two people in the sandwich line. And she’s made many friends in very tense waiting rooms.

People with mustaches.  A cousin decided to start posting pictures of her family in mustaches to make Maddie smile. She asked a few others to jump in. Then it steam-rolled into something we will never forget.  Thanks everyone. You should see the smiles. Mission accomplished. (And she still loves to see the ones coming in.)

Writers, Bloggers . . . etc. On March 5, I wasn’t doing any assemblies, or signings, or launch parties. But while I sent my kids off to school, did laundry, babysat my four-year-old, tried to catch up on my day job, and then traded my wife shifts at the hospital, so many of you promoted my book. Blogs, tweets, posts. . . etc. So many of you rallied to help. Good hearts. Such good hearts. Thank you.   

Neighbors, family, and friends. My boys have still made it to and from school. They've made it to karate, basketball, ballroom dance (Yes, that is an awesome trio), and even a few bonuses. Plus, my fridge is overloaded with some of the best homemade food in the universe. If we weren’t so busy, we would invite you all over for best leftovers clean out you’ve even had. Well, honestly that isn’t going to happen. But you could knock on the door, and if we’re home you can come on in and help yourself.

16 comments:

  1. You guys are truly amazing. I hope things continue to improve. You are, of course, in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right people are what matter, your little girl has been in my thoughts. Hang in there all of you. Sending love and positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your strength! You guys have been such an inspiration to us all. I'll keep those prayers coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to realize your blessings, it's inspiring! your daughter is in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great great post. You guys are in our prayers. Keep persevering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What amazing lessons indeed! So inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My eight-year-old son was diagnosed with Stage IV Neuroblastoma when he was 3. We lived at Primary Children's for a year and a half. I feel your pain, brother. Our prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prayers for your daughter.
    The support all week for you and your family has been amazing. That's why this community rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope your daughter is doing well. Hang in there. Heavenly Father is watching over you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was touched by Maddie's story and hope she's doing well. She sounds so brave. I blogged pics of me and two of my kids with taches today, and I look forward to reading your book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep wanting to post a mustache picture for maddie but I look like crap everyday! I really should shower more often! I'm glad to hear you're doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was touched by Maddie's story and I hope she feels better soon. You'll get through this as a family with strength. Awesome post, Chad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree all the prayers do help! I will hope n' pray for your beautiful daughter! I will try to post tomorrow some stashes for Maddie-she sounds amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Still praying for Maddie and both of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A kind thought to you and your little girl. I am sure she is a fighter like her brave dad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My thoughts and prayers to you and your family, Chad.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the sunshine butter on the toast of life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...