Thursday, October 20, 2011

Hot Guys in Doublets: Henry Crawford



I know that I'm not supposed to fall for the bad guys but Jane Austen gets me EVERYTIME! I love Whiloughby and Whickham for all their charming ways. But this last one caught me off guard (because his name doesn't start with a WH)

Henry Crawford from Mansfield Park



We know from the beginning that he's a bit of a cad but oh, how he tries to be good.
And oh, how he LOVES Fanny (even when it seems like nobody else does)
He could rescue her from poverty (purely because he wants to spend the rest of his life with her)
And she could rescue him from his selfish tendencies and his improprietious background.


I think one of the happiest engagements I've ever seen was in the 1999 film version* when Fanny accepted him after his countless kindnesses and then my heart broke for the guy when she called it off. In fact you can see how poor Henry took it in Sharp Dressed Man at 1:56. He's the guy with the flowers.
My heart breaks at the part of Sharp Dressed Man, each time.



Now with that being said, he doesn't end up being the best guy in the world (and we had enough foreshadowing to know that he wouldn't be) and like his WH friends, the ladies are better off without them.



Darn those charming bad guys. With these tendencies it's a good thing I married such a nice guy.

Did you know that there are people who chose sides in this book?
Are you Team Henry
or Team Edmund?

*in the book Fanny never accepts his proposal

6 comments:

  1. The first time I read Mansfield Park, I couldn't understand why Fanny was being such a pain in the butt (hehehe)! I wanted her to marry Henry. I glad in the end that she didn't but he is a great character. I might like him better than Edmund. Auggh! It is so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun post! thanks for stopping by and following my blog! i'm a new follower

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series. But I read the last one and have to wonder--am I the only one who didn't realize that guy was married to Angelina Jolie? Wow, where have I been?

    Oh, Jane Austen, thank you for making such wonderful men for women hundreds of years later to think about...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I need to go on a Jane Austin blitz. Starting tonight, it's P & P! And now I need to see Mansfield Park.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Henry is one of the Jane Austen bad boys I've always kinda loved/felt sorry for.

    But nobody beats Edmund. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the sunshine butter on the toast of life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...