Sunday, March 4, 2012

TIME FOR A PARTY

by Chad Morris

So I probably should write a very insightful post about the inner secrets of writing, but I have two problems. First, I really don't know any of the inner secrets of writing. And second, I haven't scraped up enough time.

As I mentioned last week, I'm reading The Beyonders: Seeds of Rebellion. I purposefully waited to even start it until I had an extra sliver of time. And now that I've shipped off a manuscript or two and the church basketball season is over (Yeah, we were totally defeated. Didn't win one.) I could fit it in. I know that it's snag me more than most books. With all of Brandon's books, I seem to end up staying up way too late reading, keeping the book in my back in case I find a couple of minutes here or there . . . etc. And yes, it has happened again. I'm about 50 pages from the end only pages from the end, and I realized I hadn't written a post. . . . . So I'll make it quick. I won't give away anything, but I will say that if you like Brandon Mull's stuff, this will definitely not be a disappointment. Somewhere between the twist with giants and the having to pass through the land with the walking dead . . . this book will catch you up and not let you down. 

And of course, Shelly and I are also prepping for the launch party. If you are interested and haven't been to one of Brandon's parties before, I'll give you the idea. It's at Cottonwood high auditorium and the place fills up with parents and their kids. It's an extremely family friendly atmosphere. The stage sets are quite cool, and those in the show usually have to wear some sort of costume (Yes, including doublets). Shannon Hale, author of Goose Girl (one of the few princess books I've read . . . and it was good enough that I read it publicly--on the bus where everyone could see) and Princess Academy (A Silver Newberry Award winner) and many other awesome books, is the MC. And frankly, she's quite entertaining. Last year, other authors made appearances . . . James Dashner, Jessica Day George, Tyler Whitesides and others. 

Shell and I will perform a little. It's usually about a half-hour of family friendly comedy, intermingled with meeting the different authors. We throw out glow sticks. People are laughing and screaming. Sometimes Brandon comes out and performs with us like we did in college. It's really just one big party. 



After all the build-up, Brandon takes his solo time on stage and tells us about the latest and greatest. He also throws in a bonus or two. Last year he did an awesome bit on what it means to really be a hero, briefly talking about his grandfather who a WWII pilot. It was great stuff. 

And then Brandon sticks around to sign anyone's books. He stays as long as there are people around who want to talk to him. Bring your books, or buy them there. Bring your cameras for pics. The other authors stick around to sign and meet people too. 

And the best part is that it's free. If you are around in Utah next week. Come check it out.   

We'd love to see you there. If you come, make sure to track down Shelly and I after the show. We'd love to meet in person. 

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like it's going to be a fantastic event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to it. BTW, I nominated you for the Sunshine Award. Come and pick it up on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you the secret guests? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so fun. I'm going to try and make it, but it's a bit of a trip for me. I'm crossing my fingers I can work it out. :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the sunshine butter on the toast of life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...